The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 4 Diploma in Advanced Skincare is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical and theoretical skills in order to provide advanced skincare treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the beauty therapy industry. This qualification is designed to provide occupational competence at level 4. It also provides a sound platform into further training at level 4.
Who is This Qualification For?
This qualification is for learners who want to work within the beauty therapy industry in an advanced skincare clinic. The qualification consists of 6 mandatory units.
Learners must hold a Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Treatments or equivalent in order to study this course.
What Does the Course Cover?
The main skills the learner will perform are:
- Laser and light treatments for skin rejuvenation – to include consultation, skin analysis (Fitzpatrick scale), recognising contra-indications and contra-actions, carrying out relevant tests prior to treatment and adapting the treatment to the client’s needs
- Microdermabrasion treatments – to include consultation, skin analysis, recognising contra- indications and contra-actions, carrying out relevant tests prior to treatment and adapting the treatment to the client’s needs
- Managing health, safety and security in the salon
- The chemistry of hair and beauty products – to include ingredients, effects and safe use,packaging materials and the properties and effects of ultra violet radiation on hair and beauty products. The learner will also learn about client care and communication and the physiology of ageing which is essential in order to work and be successful in the industry.It also provides:
- The related knowledge and understanding required to perform the treatments listed above effectively, in particular dermatology and microbiology and common diseases and disorders that may affect when a client should or should not receive treatment
- Opportunities for learners to focus on the development of their wider skills in an advanced skincare setting, such as communicating with clients, working with others and problem solving
- Opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in employment as an advanced skincare therapist
Opportunities for Progression
Once learners have achieved the VTCT (ITEC) Level 4 Diploma in Advanced Skincare they may progress on to other VTCT (ITEC) or equivalent qualifications at level 4 for example:
- Level 4 Certificate in Laser and Light Treatments
- Level 4 Certificate in Skin Needling
- Level 4 Certificate in Skin Peeling